Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Domestic Scenes


Domestic Scene - 03, 2010

There’s been snow on each of the last three Saturdays. I wasn’t able to get out much to take pictures. So this past Saturday I thought I’d get out for a while with the camera. The sky was gray with the last of yet another snow storm passing through. I imagined it would be a good day for dark, moody landscapes, most likely presented in black and white.

I headed for the beach first. I did a quick scan of the oceanfront, but nothing jumped out at me. Usually when this happens I park the car and challenge myself to find something interesting to photograph within walking distance. But as the snow turned to sleet and then to rain, I just didn’t feel like walking in the rain. I was a little disappointed in myself for not wanting to give it more effort. But there you are.

So like all dedicated photographers, I came home, had a warm lunch with my wife and finished a book I’d been reading. Then, in preparation for going to be out that night with friends to a dinner party, I took a nap.

I stirred from my nap just as the light was beginning to fade. All around me in the bedrooms in our house I started noticing little scenes. I know all these rooms well, but it had been a while since I'd looked at them as photographic subjects.

So on this cold dark Saturday afternoon I realized that the moody images I’d set out to take in the morning were right here indoors and within easy reach. I grabbed a camera and started clicking away.

Because of the low light, the photos are very grainy. I’ll probably end us using them as guides for going back later to make better photos of the same compositions. But I’m showing you a few of them now because, well, you know how I am about getting back to pictures I’d intended to take.

Domestic Scene - 23, 2010

1 comment:

  1. Ooooh! Love these--they really are almost filmy, and beautiful. Glad you took 'em and showed us!

    ReplyDelete