Sunday, June 7, 2009

Near Outlands, Loudoun County, Virginia

Near Oatlands, Loudoun County, Virginia, 2004

I was on my way home from an assignment in the Washington area and had decided to avoid the interstate highway and instead take a more leisurely drive down through Middleburg and the small towns of the eastern foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The morning air was thick with dew and the pungent smell of the freshly mown field.

The moment brought to mind a line I’d read the night before in Marilynne Robinson’s short story, Kansas:

        "So often I have seen the dawn come and the light flood over the land and everything turn radiant at once, that word ‘good’ so profoundly affirmed in my soul that I am amazed I should be allowed to witness such a thing."


2 comments:

  1. That is one beautiful area, isn't it!? Horse country. I used to love driving through that part of VA. Gorgeous shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you ever read her Gilead? That was a very affecting book. It had more faith and love and beauty and strangeness in it, and moved me more than the bible ever did. I have a pile to get through first, but I'm set on reading her latest. I think she's a magnificent writer of the heart.

    ReplyDelete